Gracious and everlasting God, hear our prayer for this church family. Fill our hearts and minds with your vision for us. Let us be a house of prayer for all people. With your help, we can heal the broken, reconcile the discontented, and celebrate with the joyful. Enable us to provide a place where all who come will hear your Word and receive your Holy Sacraments. We pray that with your Holy Spirit to guide us, we are given the commitment and the zeal to bring it to pass. Through our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen.
St. Philip’s Episcopal Church
1206 College Street, Sulphur Springs, Texas
P.O. Box 636 * Sulphur Springs, Texas 75483
Sunday Morning Service – 10:45 a.m.
Wednesday Evening Service – 6:30 p.m.
The Rev’d Barbara Kelton, Vicar
(From Sulphur Springs News Telegram Newspaper)
Tyler Raine, son of Fred and Gina Raine, was accepted into the Honors College at TAMU-C, which comes with a “full ride.” The scholarship will cover 100 percent of his tuition, room, board, books and fees.
Raine has been involved in athletics, participated in academic UIL, One-Act Play and Beta Club. He also has competed in ranch rodeos, showed livestock projects at the Northeast Texas Livestock Show and served as an FFA delegate, during his high school years at Sulphur Bluff High School.
NOTES FROM THE ANNUAL PARISH MEETING
- New Vestry members: Charlotte Fouts and Betsy Taggart
- To save money the Communication Committee is no longer sending out birthday cards.
- Volunteers are needed to help work in the garden.
- This past year the Kitchen Committee bought new appliances and new counter tops, stained kitchen cabinets and spray painted all knobs.
- Charlotte Fouts will be our 2014 State Convention delegate with Jim Taggart as alternate.
- 2014 Budget approved. As of January 19, we received 15 pledge cards totaling $42,660.
IT IS NEVER TOO LATE TO PLEDGE
- Jim Taggart made a Resolution that St. Philip’s petition the Diocese of Dallas to become a Parish. Resolve carried.
- Mother Barbara appointed Ken Pool to head the Parish Committee to meet with the Bishop.
NOTES FROM THE PARISH COMMITTEE MEETINGS
- The Parish Committee pictured below consist of: (L to R) Ken Pool (chairman), Frances McKee, Betsy Taggart, Sharon Brooks, Nancy Pool (Clerk),Vicar Barbara Kelton, Chad Stewart, and Jim Taggart. (Member Sarah Smith was not shown).
- A mission statement was composed.
- A fact list of churches comparable to ours was made.
- A Financial Chart was created to show last 3 years of the church financial status
- A list of positive points about our church and future ministry projects was created to present before the Bishop.
- Mother Barbara secured a meeting with Bishop Stanton during the Rural Church Gathering in Mineola to make the presentation.
- Bishop Stanton was excited for us and encouraged us to proceed stating he would help us in any way he could. He instructed the committee to use their Letter of Intent presented to him as our Petition for Parish and have Vestry members sign and mail to him as soon as possible.
- Bishop Stanton presented a challenge for us to average 60 in attendance over a period of 4 consecutive weeks (which may include Easter).
- This committee is in the process of completing the steps to become a Parish as shown on Page 19 in the Canon of the Diocese of Dallas – most of which have been completed.
- Mother Barbara suggested the Parish Committee be renamed to St. Philip’s Future Planning Committee.
February 16 Meeting:
2014 Vestry: Ken Pool, Senior Warden; Bob Julian, Jr. Warden; Sharon Brooks, Treasurer; Frances McKee; Charlotte Fouts; Betsy Taggart; and Nancy Pool, Clerk.
- Mary Galloway Wade has resigned as Youth Director. Brandy Stockton has taken the lead and Maryah Hughes is assisting her.
- Vestry is working on creating By-Laws for our church.
- One Vestry meeting per quarter will be held in the Parish Hall so there will be room for everyone to attend.
- It was agreed to use our St Philip’s Prayer as our church Mission Statement.
- As of this date 22 pledge cards have been received totaling approximately $49,000.
WORLD DAY OF PRAYER
World Day of Prayer is next Friday, March 7, at 11:00 a.m. at First Presbyterian Church on College Street. As the host church next year, in addition to the “Samaritan Woman,” St Philip’s is in charge of collecting the offering and providing 2 readers. Nancy Moore will be the “Samaritan Woman, Susan Henderson and Susan Brewer have volunteered to be readers and Linda Christian and Anita Pugh have volunteered to “pass the plate”.
I’m looking forward to this event, are you? Please join us. I hear the food’s pretty good too.
MARCH BIRTHDAYS & ANNIVERSARIES
04 – Anita and Larry Pugh Anniversary
05 – Susan & Honda Henderson Anniversary
05 – Arch Harris Birthday
08 – Mary Galloway Ward Birthday
13 – Nancy Pool Birthday
14 – Levi Bennett Birthday
25 – Frannie Miller Birthday
SCHEDULE FOR MARCH
3/02/2014: The Pughs (Oblationers); Sharon Brooks (Lector); Carmen Shannon (Crucifer); Linda Christian (Acolyte)
3/05/2014: Ash Wednesday
3/09/2014: The Pools (Oblationers); Bob Julian (Lector); Joe Galloway (Crucifer); Betsy Taggart (Acolyte)
3/16/2014: The Stewarts (Oblationers); Chrissy Galloway (Lector); Carolyn Galloway (Crucifer); Carmen Shannon (Acolyte)
3/23/2014: The Fouts (Oblationers); Carmen Shannon (Lector); Susan Brook s(Crucifer); Britany Myers (Acolyte)
3/30/2014: Moore/Brewer (Oblationers); Mike Conely (Lector); Bob Julian (Crucifer); Sharon Brooks (Acolyte)
For those interested: Betsy Taggart would like to have an acolyte training on Sun., March 23, soon after church.
LENT & EASTER SCHEDULE
March 4, Tuesday, 5:30-7:30 p.m. Pancake Supper, Parish Hall
March 5, Wednesday, 6:30 p.m. Ash Wednesday service
Wednesdays in Lent, 6:30 p.m. Holy Eucharist and Discussion of Readings
April 13, Palm Sunday, 10:45 a.m. Parish Hall
April 16, Wednesday, 6:30 p.m. Stations of the Cross
April 17, Thursday, 6:30 p.m. Maundy Thursday service
April 18, Good Friday service, 6:30 p.m.
April 19, Saturday, 7:30 p.m. Easter Even and the first Easter Eucharist
April 20, EASTER, 10:45 a.m. Sunday of the Resurrection
Download the St. Philip’s Episcopal Church Newsletter
You can also download a PDF (Portable Document Format) of our newsletter. Click here to download now.